RESTON, Va., Oct. 24, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The board-certified plastic surgeons of The Austin-Weston Center for Cosmetic Surgery raised $13,023.00 for breast cancer research by dedicating the proceeds from Botox and Juvéderm® injections performed at their Fall Open House event on Saturday, October 20, 2012 to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
"All of us at The Austin-Weston Center are thrilled and grateful that we were able to raise thirteen thousand dollars for breast cancer research in a single day—in less than four hours, as a matter of fact!—at our Fall Open House on October 20. October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and we decided to devote the proceeds from all Botox and Juvéderm® injections performed at our Fall Open House to help The Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF) in their goal of a cure for breast cancer in our lifetime," says Dr. George Weston, Austin-Weston Center for Cosmetic Surgery President. "BCRF is a non-profit organization that funds over 185 breast cancer research scientists across the United States and the world! BCRF does an tremendous amount of good—91 cents of every dollar spent by BCRF is directed towards breast cancer research and awareness programs – and we are honored to be a part of their mission."
Adds Austin-Weston Center surgeon Dr. Robert Sigal, "There are many, many fantastic breast cancer charities out there, but The Breast Cancer Research Foundation really stood out for us. Over 90% of the money they raise goes directly to breast cancer research and awareness programs, and this month BCRF will announce new grants of $40 million to almost 200 research scientists. At the beginning of my medical career, before I trained as a plastic surgeon, I spent two years doing cancer research. That gives me a special appreciation for the work that breast cancer researchers do. Most of all, we are humbled and grateful to our patients who came out on Saturday to support The Breast Cancer Research Foundation."
"The Breast Cancer Research Foundation—founded, incidentally, by Evelyn Lauder of the Estee Lauder group of companies--really does a lot of good with the money given to them. A single day's worth of research by BCRF can include, for example, setting up an experimental model for studying tumor growth, or conducting genetic counseling for one woman with a newly discovered genetic predisposition for breast cancer – and that's just a small snapshot of BCRF's work. To date, they've raised over $380 million to support innovative clinical breast cancer research. And they're the only cancer organization with an A+ rating from Charity Watch!" says Austin-Weston Center surgeon Dr. Byron Poindexter. "I feel great to be supporting the research that BCRF makes possible. Given that my mother is currently undergoing treatment for breast cancer and I've seen the new innovations in breast cancer diagnosis and treatment that are now possible, it makes me even more proud to be part of this effort."
For more information or to arrange an interview with Dr. George Weston, Dr. Robert Sigal, or Dr. Byron Poindexter, please call our Media Relations Department at 703-230-2537 or email Kopel@austin-weston.com.
About The Austin-Weston Center for Cosmetic Surgery
Founded in 1978, The Austin-Weston Center for Cosmetic Surgery is the first free-standing center established exclusively for cosmetic surgery in the Washington, D.C. area. Its surgeons, George W. Weston, M.D., Robert K. Sigal, M.D., and Byron D. Poindexter, M.D., have over 55 years of combined surgical experience among them. The doctors are board-certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and are members of The American Society of Plastic Surgeons. The AAAHC-accredited office-based surgery center has 5 on-site operating rooms and is staffed by over 30 professionals dedicated to the highest standards of patient safety, privacy and service. Call 703-893-6168 for more information or to schedule your free consultation. View our website at www.austin-weston.com .
Less than 10% of board-certified plastic surgeons specialize exclusively in cosmetic surgery. The other 90% perform reconstructive surgery and some cosmetic surgery. George W. Weston, M.D., Robert K. Sigal, M.D., and Byron D. Poindexter, M.D., perform cosmetic surgery exclusively and are the largest such group in the metropolitan D.C. area. When compared to the plastic surgeons who specialize in cosmetic surgery, Drs. Weston, Sigal and Poindexter perform four times as many cosmetic surgery procedures as they do.
This information was brought to you by Cision http://www.cisionwire.com