MANILA, PHILIPPINES--(Marketwire - December 7, 2010) - Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO), Global Gateway Development Corp. and Peregrine Development International today announced a collaboration to design and develop the technology infrastructure for the Global Gateway Logistics City in the Philippines. The GGLC, a 177-hectare master-planned mixed-use aviation-oriented logistics and business center of excellence, is expected to use the Cisco® Smart+Connected Communities blueprint, making the new aerotropolis one of the most technologically advanced communities in the world.
The collaboration was recognized by His Excellency President Benigno S. Aquino III at the Medical City groundbreaking and statement of agreements ceremony at the GGLC.
- The Global Gateway Logistics City is located at the former site of the Clark Air Force Base in the central plains of Luzon, just 60 minutes north of Manila, in the province of Pampanga, Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines.
- Cisco is exploring solutions and technology that will provide the technology vision, services and solutions based on its Smart+Connected Communities initiative to make GGLC a smart connected city of the future.
- Global Gateway will be the Philippines' first aerotropolis: an airport-driven city. This dynamic, forward-looking model in urban planning will set the standard for future sustainable developments.
- Incorporating new urban components in transportation, mixed-use development and environmentally sustainable architecture, the GGLC integrates and reinforces Cisco's technology-based vision of changing the way people work, play, live and learn.
- With a planned floor space of 4.5 million square meters, the GGLC will host business enterprises and operations that include aviation, logistics, light industrial, manufacturing, business process outsourcing, and corporate business, along with complementary commercial and retail operations.
- The rapid expansion of airport-linked commercial and business facilities is making today's aviation gateways the anchor for 21st-century metropolitan development. Travelers and locals alike can conduct business, exchange knowledge, shop, eat, sleep and be entertained without going more than 15 minutes from the airport. This functional and spatial evolution is rapidly transforming many local city airports into major international aerotropolises.
- The Cisco Smart+Connected Communities initiative is designed to transform traditional communities into connected communities running on networked information to achieve economic, social and environmental sustainability. Through this model, Cisco is helping many cities, towns and villages in the world change the way they are designed, built and managed.
- Stephen Misa, country manager, Cisco Philippines
"This collaboration with Global Gateway Development Corp. and Peregrine is a validation of the importance of the network as a platform for transformation, as we develop the connected communities of the 21st century. To realize the full potential of a smart connected community, the three companies are working together from idea to execution on the use of multiple vertical solutions built over the network as an open integrated platform. Cisco is excited to be part of this bold vision to create this future state aerotropolis in the Philippines, which will contribute to the economic development of the surrounding region."
- Christopher Khang, president for Asia Region at Cisco
"The cities of the 21st century will be defined by Internet access and broadband, with the ability to connect virtually anything to the network: cars, hospitals, buildings, energy, home appliances and schools. We believe that initiatives like these will go a long way toward intelligently managing the rapidly increasing urbanization that we are witnessing across the world. The Philippines has great potential to become one of the leading economies of the region given their highly skilled English-speaking workforce. It is expected that over the next five years, 700 million people will move to new or existing cities, creating new challenges for city planners. The Cisco Smart+Connected Communities initiative provides governments and developers with a tried and trusted blueprint to address this urbanization challenge."
- Mark Williams, president and CEO of Global Gateway Development Corp.
"We're very excited about the opportunity to collaborate with Cisco, and we're looking forward to a long partnership for both organizations. Cisco is on the cutting edge in terms of delivering the technology solutions that business enterprises demand in this new digital frontier of global and business interconnectivity. We decided to invest in Clark because of its proximity to the DMIA airport and its ability to attract companies from technology-oriented industries whose businesses dictate speed, flexibility and innovation. Cisco's decision to join us at Clark sends a strong signal to others that Clark is in fact the place to invest in and conduct business."
- Dennis Wright, president and CEO of Peregrine Development International
"We recognized that the Philippines was emerging as one of the darlings of the worldwide investment community and transitioning from its historically labor intensive and inefficient business processes to an economy that was ready to embrace and leverage the latest in technology. Clearly, in our mind, Clark was the place to showcase technology in a modern business park because of its proximity to metro Manila and being adjacent to the DMIA Airport, the country's international gateway of the future. Hence GGLC was conceived, planned and designed to do just that. We selected Cisco to help us lead that transformation by fully integrating all aspects of technology based solutions. GGLC will be the benchmark by which others measure themselves."
About Global Gateway Development Corporation
Global Gateway Development Corporation is part of Kuwaiti Gulf Links Investment Company, a member of the KGL Group of Companies of Kuwait. KGL Investment Company is the principal investor and owner of GGLC. KGL is the premier provider of integrated Supply Chain Management services in the Middle East, fulfilling the Transportation Logistics, Port Management, Shipping and Freight Forwarding needs of countless regional and international clients. KGL is a global leader with over 50 years experience in transportation. Logistics, supply chain management and port operations. The KGL Investment Co., meanwhile, is an international alternative investment firm engaged in private equity, venture capital and investment banking. KGL Investment Company was established in 2006 to leverage KGL Group's expertise, brand and international platform to take advantage of the growing private equity opportunities in the industry.
About Peregrine International
Peregrine Development International, Inc. (http://www.peregrinedc.com) is a privately owned American company with extensive experience in Project Development, Program Management, Engineering, Construction, Operations, Maintenance and Logistics. Peregrine has offices in Kuwait, the Philippines and United States and has a proven track record of developing large projects, incorporating the best in conceptual design, marketing, program management, project execution and providing logistics support to a broad range of clients for both the public and private sectors.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO), the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, this year celebrates 25 years of technology innovation, operational excellence and corporate social responsibility. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco products are supplied in Philippines by Cisco Systems International, BV, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
For direct RSS Feeds of all Cisco news, please visit "News@Cisco" at the following link:
Huey Miin Leong
+44 (20) 8824 1970