OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - May 27, 2011) - This Memorial Day long weekend, higher travel volumes are expected, and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) would like to advise travellers that this may affect border wait times at some ports of entry.

The CBSA is committed to providing the best possible service, and all ports of entry will be appropriately staffed to meet this expected increase in traffic. Travellers can help by being prepared and knowing what to expect before arriving at the border. The following are some helpful tips to those travelling this weekend:

- All adults and children who are travelling must have proper identification. Children under the age of 16 can present an original or copy of their birth certificate. If travelling with children, have their identification ready to show (picture ID, birth certificate, passport, etc.) and a letter of permission for any child who is travelling without their parents or with a non-custodial parent.

- A passport is not mandatory for entry into Canada but it is a preferable piece of identification. Other acceptable identification includes an enhanced driver's license, a birth certificate with accompanying photo ID such as a regular driver's license, a permanent residence card, a citizenship card or a certificate of Indian Status, or a NEXUS card or Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card when travelling by land or boat.

- Certain goods are prohibited from entering Canada, including some food, plant and animal products. Be aware of what goods are prohibited from entering Canada by consulting the I Declare brochure, available at

- Visitors to Canada should be aware of the requirements to import a firearm into Canada. Many weapons are considered prohibited and are therefore not allowed into Canada. All travellers must declare any firearms and weapons in their possession when they enter Canada. Anyone who does not declare them upon arrival can face prosecution, and the firearms and vehicle used to carry them may be seized.

- Visit for more information, including entry requirements into Canada for non-Canadians, and to download a copy of I Declare, a detailed publication describing what to expect when bringing goods into Canada.

- Declare all money or monetary instruments equal to or over CAN$10,000.

- Prior to arriving in Canada by air, all travellers are provided with a Declaration form (Form E311). Be sure to fill it out accurately and keep it in an accessible place until you have exited the secure area of the airport.

- If a road trip is more your style, try to plan the time and place you arrive in Canada in advance – avoid crossing during peak travel times and consider using other available ports of entry in the area.

- Border wait times for land borders are available at, or follow us on Twitter for hourly border wait time updates at BWT_CBSA.

- Finally, use your NEXUS card and save time at land, air and marine ports of entry when entering Canada or the United States. Visit for more information or to apply for a membership.

Further information on these tips and more can be found on our Web site at

The CBSA strives to provide the best and most efficient service possible while maintaining the security and prosperity of Canada. If travellers have questions about their interactions with border services officers, they are encouraged to speak to a CBSA superintendent, who can address their questions or concerns at that time. Alternatively, travellers can visit the CBSA Web site and fill out an electronic feedback form, where they can voice comments, complaints and compliments.

Contact Information:

Media line

Pacific Region:
Shakila Manzoor
Faith St. John

Prairie Region:
Lisa White

Northern Ontario Region:
Chris Kealey

Greater Toronto Area Region:
Vanessa Barrasa

Southern Ontario Region:
Jean D'Amelio Swyer

Quebec Region:
Media Line

Atlantic Region:
Laurie Gillmore