OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Oct. 3, 2012) - As you prepare to spend time with family and friends this holiday long weekend, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) reminds you to familiarize yourself with these time-saving tips before crossing the border. Be prepared for higher traveller volumes by planning ahead. Here's what you should know:

Bring the correct travel documents.

- All adults and children who are travelling must have proper identification. Children under the age of 16 can present an original or copy of their birth certificate. If travelling with children, have their identification ready to show (picture ID, birth certificate, passport, etc.) and a letter of permission for any child who is travelling without their parents or with a non-custodial parent.

- Use your NEXUS card and save time at land, air and marine ports of entry when entering Canada or the United States. Visit for more information or to apply for a membership.

- A passport is the preferable piece of identification for entry into Canada. Other acceptable identification includes an enhanced driver's licence, a birth certificate with accompanying photo ID such as a regular driver's licence, a permanent resident card, a citizenship card or a certificate of Indian status, a NEXUS card or Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card when travelling by land or boat.

Know your personal exemptions.

Limits for personal exemptions
After being away for:
Less than 24 hours There is no personal exemption for stays less than 24 hours.
24 hours or more CAN$200

If the amount being imported exceeds CAN$200, the duty and taxes are applicable on the entire amount of the imported goods.
48 hours or more CAN$800, including alcohol and tobacco

Duty and taxes are applicable on the amount of imported goods above CAN$800.
7 days or more CAN$800, including alcohol and tobacco

Duty and taxes are applicable on the amount of imported goods above CAN$800.

Goods may be in your possession at time of entry to Canada but are also permitted to follow entry to Canada (via courier, mail or delivery agent or pickup by the importer).

Alcohol and tobacco must be in your possession at the time of entry to qualify for a duty free exemption.

Plan your border crossing.

- Border wait times for land borders are available at, or follow us on Twitter for hourly border wait time updates at BWT_CBSA.

Stay connected.

- We know you are mobile and now we are too. Stay connected with us at

- For even more travel tips, watch the CBSA's travel tips video on YouTube.

Have something to say? We want to hear it! If you have questions about your interactions with border services officers, you are encouraged to speak to a CBSA superintendent who can address your questions or concerns at that time. Alternatively, you can visit the CBSA Web site and fill out an electronic feedback form where you can voice comments, complaints and compliments.

Follow us on Twitter (@CanBorder), join us on Facebook or visit our YouTube channel.

Contact Information:

Headquarters: Media line

Northern Ontario Region:
Caroline Desjarlais

Prairie Region:
Lisa White

Quebec Region:
Media Line

Pacific Region:
Faith St. John

Greater Toronto Area Region:
Media Line

Southern Ontario Region:
Jean D'Amelio Swyer
905-354-2011 or 519-967-4330

Atlantic Region:
Media Line