WEST PALM BEACH, FL--(Marketwired - Jul 24, 2013) -  Susan G. Komen® South Florida announced today it will distribute more than $797,000 to support its mission of increasing access to breast cancer screening, treatment, and education. More than two-thirds of the moneys will be awarded to non-profit healthcare providers to fund breast cancer treatment and breast cancer screening, like mammograms for uninsured and underinsured women. The remainder will be awarded to non-profits providing breast health education and patient navigation assistance to women diagnosed with breast cancer.

This year fewer women and men will benefit from the essential breast health services provided by grantees who rely on Komen South Florida for funding. They experienced a 38 percent drop in grant funds compared to last fiscal year.

"We received 22 applications from non-profits seeking $2.5 million to serve residents in Palm Beach, Martin, and St. Lucie counties," said Dayve Gabbard, executive director of Komen South Florida. "But because we were only able to grant out a portion of those requested funds, many local women and men will not get the life-saving support they desperately need."

Every four years, Komen South Florida collaborates with local healthcare professionals and community leaders to develop a community profile to ensure that the distribution of funds is closely aligned with local needs.

"Continued economic challenges leave women and men in greater need of breast health services in our service area," said Lisa Hartstein, director of mission initiatives at Komen South Florida. "The less we are able to grant each year, the greater the burden on local grantees who simply don't have the money they need."

"What makes us unique is that, while 25 percent of the funds raised here go to the national Komen Grants Program for groundbreaking research, the other 75 percent stays in our local community to provide patient care and breast health education," added Dayve Gabbard. "Supporting Komen South Florida saves lives, and it's never too late to donate, volunteer, or organize a fundraising event. And mark your calendar for next year's Race for the Cure on January 25th, 2014. Your participation can literally save a life."

To support Komen South Florida, visit www.komensouthflorida.org or call 561-514-3020.

Contact Information:

Komen South Florida
www.komensouthflorida.org
561-514-3020