LINDSAY, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - May 29, 2015) - Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario (FedDev Ontario)
Today, Barry Devolin, Member of Parliament for Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock, announced an investment of up to $1 million for Mariposa Dairy Ltd. to increase its production capacity of specialty cheese products.
Mariposa Dairy Ltd. is a manufacturer of award winning, hand-crafted goat and sheep cheese. The company's project includes purchasing equipment and making building improvements to a new 40,000-square foot production facility. An increase in manufacturing space will allow the company to produce more efficiently and effectively, increasing its operational capacity. It will also help the company meet growing consumer demands and expand exports.
The Harper Government's repayable contribution is through FedDev Ontario's Investing in Business Growth and Productivity initiative, which is aimed at helping established businesses to expand their operations, invest in productivity improvements and compete globally.
• Mariposa Dairy Ltd. was established in 1989 and currently operates from a 22,000-square foot facility in Lindsay, Ontario.
• The company is a past recipient of the Ontario Premier's Leaders in Innovation Award for Agri-Food and Innovation Excellence and has won numerous awards-from groups such as the American Cheese Society, The British Empire Cheese Competition and the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair.
• The company has developed and implemented a Mega Press, which has helped reduce goat cheese manufacturing time from four days to 24 hours.
• This project is expected to create up to 15 full-time permanent jobs and 60 temporary jobs by 2017.
• Lenberg farms, based near Lindsay, Ontario, supplies 15% of the milk used by Mariposa Dairy Ltd., with the remaining 85% being supplied by Gay Lea
• Ontario has the largest food and beverage processing industry in Canada and accounted for 14.7 percent of manufacturing jobs in 2013
• Investing in Business Growth and Productivity funding is currently available for eligible small- and medium-sized enterprises and not-for-profit industry associations or regional economic development organizations.
"This investment announced today is exciting news for Lindsay and for the Kawartha Lakes region, as it will allow a valued local company to increase its distribution of quality, local products. This funding will help Mariposa Dairy Ltd., a manufacturer of specialty dairy products, to grow its business and extend its reach to greater markets."
"Mariposa Dairy is growing! Our company is producing cheese for the North American market and we plan to expand globally. Funds from FedDev Ontario are essential to reach these goals."