OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - June 1, 2016) - Do you need a business to authorize you quickly so you can file a tax return, submit a document or resolve an outstanding issue? The CRA has two fast alternatives to the RC59 Business Consent form.

Alternative 1: use Represent a Client to get authorization in 5 days or less

1. Login to Represent a Client.

2. From the Welcome page, select "Review and update."

3. At the bottom of the "Manage clients" tab, select "Authorization request" and follow the instructions.

4. Print the signature page for your client to sign.

5. Scan and send the signed copy of the signature page to the CRA using Submit documents.

After you send it, you will receive authorization and online access to your client's information in five days or less.

Alternative 2: get your clients to authorize you with My Business Account

1. Give your client your Rep ID, Group ID, or Business number, and ask them to log in to My Business Account. Then, they will need to select "Representatives" under "Manage" from the menu on the left of the Welcome page.

2. Once they complete the authorization, it takes effect immediately and you'll have access to their CRA accounts.

Did you know?

  • The CRA receives almost 300,000 RC59 Business Consent forms every year that contain information we already have on file. This is the equivalent of 72 trees!
  • Unless you specify an expiry date, authorizations are valid until you or your business client changes them. There's no need to send the request every year.

Stay connected

To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:

Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.

Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.

Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.

You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.

Contact Information:

Jelica Zdero
Media Relations
Canada Revenue Agency