OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - June 8, 2016) - If you are self-employed or the spouse or common-law partner of someone who is, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) reminds you that the deadline to file your 2015 income tax and benefit return is midnight on Wednesday, June 15, 2016. Any balance owing must have been paid by April 30, 2016. However, as this date was a Saturday, the CRA will consider your payment to have been made on time if the CRA received your submission or it was postmarked by midnight on May 2, 2016. A late-filing penalty on amounts owing may apply to returns received after the June 15 deadline.

Join the growing number of Canadians who are filing online. If you are fully registered for My Account and file online using certified tax preparation software, you may be able to use the new Auto-fill my return service to automatically fill in parts of your income tax and benefit return, making the online filing process even simpler. It is important to file on time even if some slips or receipts are missing.

Do you have a balance owing?

There are many ways you can make a payment to the CRA. One way is to use your financial institution's telephone or Internet banking service.

You can also pay using the CRA's pre-authorized debit service offered through My Account. Pre-authorized debits let you do the following:

  • set up a payment from your bank account to the CRA on a pre-set date
  • pay an overdue amount or make instalment payments

Another way to make your payment is through the CRA's My Payment service, which lets you make one or more payments in one simple online transaction. You can use this service if you have access to online banking at a participating financial institution.

For more information about online payments, go to or contact your financial institution.

Make a change to your return

You will have to wait to receive your notice of assessment from the CRA before you can make a change to your return, but it's easy to make a correction if you realize after filing it that you made a mistake. For more information, go to

Correct your tax affairs through the Voluntary Disclosures Program

Through the Voluntary Disclosures Program, the CRA offers taxpayers the chance to come forward and correct or complete their information, and to disclose information they did not report in previous dealings with the CRA. Taxpayers may avoid being penalized or prosecuted and pay only the tax or charges owing, plus interest, if they make a valid disclosure. For more information, go to

CRA online services make filing easier and getting your refund faster

The CRA's online services are fast, easy and secure. You, your employee, or your representative can file, pay, and access detailed information about your tax accounts-all online, all at your fingertips. To learn more about the CRA's electronic services for businesses, go to

Stay connected

To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:

- Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.

- Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.

- Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.

You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.

Contact Information:

Jelica Zdero
Media Relations
Canada Revenue Agency