OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Jan. 26, 2017) -

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) knows that dealing with the death of a loved one is difficult. With this in mind, here are a few things to consider when handling someone's taxes after they have passed away

What to do first

  1. Tell us the deceased's date of death as soon as possible. You can call us at 1-800-959-8281, or fill out the form on the back of RC4111, What to Do Following a Death, and send it to your tax services office or tax centre.
  2. If the deceased was receiving any of the benefit and credit payments listed below, contact the CRA as soon as possible to stop the payments and, if applicable, transfer them to a survivor:
  3. Tell Service Canada the deceased's date of death by contacting a Service Canada office or calling 1-800-622-6232.

Important facts

Stay connected

To receive updates on what is new at the Canada Revenue Agency, you can:

- Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.

- Follow the CRA on LinkedIn.

- Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.

- Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.

- Watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.

Contact Information:

Media Relations
Canada Revenue Agency