Dublin, April 25, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Lithium-Ion Battery Innovation & Patent Review - Positive Electrode" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
Unique insights from a machine learning-supported patent analysis have been combined with a review of the emerging Li-ion battery high energy cathode supply chain. NCA (nickel-cobalt-aluminium) and NMC (nickel-manganese-cobalt) are identified as the key material types on which most patenting activity is focused.
The NCA supply chain is characterized by close collaboration between few players, while the NMC supply chain involves many players with more fluid relationships. Cobalt-free materials are discussed as well as longer-term options for cathode materials that will be used in solid-state batteries.
Patent filings between January 2017 and January 2019, current supply chain relationships and the direction of R&D efforts are discussed for 29 companies. Key patents are listed for an additional 130 companies. The current NMC and NCA supply chains are plotted with relationships between key players.
Reasons to Buy
The reader will understand which R&D topics are of highest interest to the industry, and how the high energy cathode supply chain will evolve in the coming years in the context of two possible scenarios.
It is illustrated how key cathode material producers are shifting their R&D activities from NMC to NCA because cobalt can be reduced more effectively. At the same time, several major Li-ion battery and automotive manufacturers remain very much focused on NMC because switching costs to NCA are high.
Key Topics Covered:
1. Executive Summary
3. The Race to Improve Battery Energy Density
4. The Focus of this Review
5. Li-Ion Battery Cell Components
6. High Energy Cathode Material Characteristics
7. The NCA Supply Chain
8. The NMC Supply Chain
9. Feasibility of Further Cobalt Content Reduction - NCA vs. NMC
10. Alternative High Energy Cathode Materials
12. Scenario A: Insufficient Cobalt Supply to Satisfy Demand
13. Scenario B: Sufficient Cobalt Supply to Satisfy Demand
14. Long Term Outlook
15. Machine Learning-Based Identification of Commercially Relevant Patents
16. Assessment of 29 Key Companies & Alliances
17. Inactive Components of Cathodes
18. 5 Conductive Additive Manufacturers (Summary of Key Patents)
19. 5 Binder Manufacturers (Summary of Key Patents)
20. Additional Patent Filings with Commercial Relevance (120 Companies/Alliances)
21. Appendix: Patent Analysis Methodology & Validation
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/6zmajt
Research and Markets also offers Custom Research services providing focused, comprehensive and tailored research.
CONTACT: ResearchAndMarkets.com Laura Wood, Senior Press Manager email@example.com For E.S.T Office Hours Call 1-917-300-0470 For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call 1-800-526-8630 For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900 Related Topics: Battery Technology